I bought a new Mac mini and it came with Mojave preinstalled. It was what I would call my first “Windows experience” with a Mac and I was very disappointed. After waking from sleeping my symptoms varied but fell into a few categories:
- My Apple Watch would not unlock it, it would try but then as for the password
- When I plugged in my iPad it would not auto-launch iTunes
- After a while when launching apps I’d get the message that says in the future this app will not be supported and the app owner need to update it
- Apps would not complete closing
- Shutdown would not complete
Eventually, I would end up doing a hard shutdown (holding the power switch until it shut off). After that the first reboot, I would have to shutdown and restart again before it started behaving correctly.
I kept pushing though it but never really could find a solution. I reinstalled Mojave, reset the NVM, and all the other standard suggestions with no change. So I started going through the logs. I saw a lot of activity going on where requests going out were getting errors or URLs not found, etc.
So, I decided to dump the apps doing this and see what happens. I removed iHeart Radio and Avast anti-virus (free version) software.
I haven’t had a problem since (a little over one week now). I lean towards Avast being the problem after I found one web page talking about to fix a problem you needed to shutdown hibernation mode.
I have not pursued it further and am using alternative apps.